120 Prospect St.
Nutley, NJ 07110
Become a Member of our Parish
Our mission as a holy parish is to communicate
and to celebrate the life and spirit of Jesus by our
word and actions in order to build a dynamic,
loving, caring and outreaching community of faith.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Nutley is renowned for its warmth and inviting spirit. The parish was founded in 1925 to serve the needs of the small local Polish community. Today the parish serves people from Nutley and the surrounding communities of Belleville, Bloomfield, Montclair and Clifton.
The present church, known as the “Little Church on the Hill” built in 1949, replaced the original church on Franklin Avenue. The windows are traditional stained glass pictorial windows made by Heimer & Company whose family traces their origins to 19th century Munich.
The Parish strongly encourages the role of the laity in ministry and worship. Although we are a small parish, many parishioners give generously of their time, talent and treasure for the love of God and their parish.
Renovations were completed to refurbish the church in 2002. Besides expansion to increase seating, there were many other improvements including making the church handicapped accessible and barrier free; new flooring and air conditioning in the Church Hall. But the most striking feature of the “Little Church on the Hill” continues to be its warmth, charm and welcoming intimacy. Whoever comes, immediately feels at home.